[Exceptional C++ Style] Item 12: Exception Safety: Is it Wort hit?

Kevlin Henney kevlin at curbralan.com
Fri Dec 3 07:11:09 EST 2004

In message <00b801c4d914$ad53f370$6800a8c0 at paul>, Paul Grenyer
<paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk> writes

>This is a matter of opinion. I personally like to clean up properly,
>even when an application has failed. Kevlin and I had a disagreement a
>few weeks back (on accu-general I think??) about whether failed unit
>tests should clear up properly. I think they should...

It depends on the scope of the failure. In this particular, IIRC, I
recoiled from the coding hoops you had jumped through to deal with the
specific corner case. The effort was not worth the return on investment
in test complication: the stable ordering that required no resource
holding objects or external library dependencies satisfied both our
concerns :-)

Kevlin
--

   Kevlin Henney                   phone:  +44 117 942 2990
   mailto:kevlin at curbralan.com     mobile: +44 7801 073 508