[Exceptional C++ Style] Fw: const data - was Item 17

Kevlin Henney kevlin at curbralan.com
Thu Dec 23 13:35:45 EST 2004

In message <008301c4e916$bc608150$0300000a at pc>, Terje Slettebø
<tslettebo at broadpark.no> writes
[...]
>Yeah, and so far your posting is in agreement with mine, as well as adding
>the point about simple/simplistic. I had the impression that it was meant to
>contrast my posting (starting with "The problem..."), but perhaps not.

Sorry if my intent was misunderstood: my was intended to supplement and
extend rather than disagree with or contradict your posting, except
for...

>> >Generalisation is rather orthogonal to encapsulation, I think.
>>
>> Except when it isn't ;-)
>
>Could you elaborate?

Generalisation is the process of taking a step back from the specifics,
which is something that often occurs with encapsulation. They are both
abstraction processes, albeit with different aims. However, this does
mean that they are not necessarily orthogonal.

Kevlin
--

   Kevlin Henney                   phone:  +44 117 942 2990
   mailto:kevlin at curbralan.com     mobile: +44 7801 073 508