[Effective-cpp] Item 1: Uses and Abuses of vector

White Wolf wolof at freemail.hu
Sat Oct 23 13:04:59 EDT 2004

effective-cpp-bounces at accu.org wrote:
>> From: "Bronek Kozicki" <brok at rubikon.pl>
>
>> nice, but lack of "const" troubles me - I know this language
>> limitation, anyway. I also do not like for_each, for reasons stated
>> by Paul. More general reason is that std::for_each, like
>> std::transform, can be used to do anything with your container(s) -
>> I do not like that this "anything" is not visible in place where it
>> actually counts. If local class could be used as a template
>> parameter (again, I believe it's under committee's consideration) I
>> would not have such problem.
>
> Libraries like BLL, allowing you to create function objects
> on the fly, I think reduces or eliminates the need for being
> able to use local classes as template parameters, since with
> BLL, you don't even need to explicitly define the class before use.
>
> Besides, the latest I've heard about that proposal
> (http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG21/docs/papers/2003/n1427
> .pdf) is that it has been moved to the committee's "inactive"
> list, unless more work is done on it.

Yes, it has been moved to Schrödinger's cat status, meaning that we do not
know if it is dead or alive, until we look at it again.  But many more
things went to drafting as well as review status; unless someone finds
something
wrong with it in the next 6 months, it will be added to the draft.

Attila