[Effective-cpp] Item 1: Uses and Abuses of vector

White Wolf wolof at freemail.hu
Tue Oct 26 18:06:04 EDT 2004

Adrian wrote:
> I know I'm in a minority here but I don't agree with the
> consensus that all future enhancements should be in the
> standard libraries and not direct support for e.g. nested functions
> etc.

There is no such consensus.  Where did you hear this?  It is an urban
legend.  Several core language changes has been accepted into
drafting/review status just a week ago.  It would be nice if you could tell
me who is spreading this false information about the non-existing consensus
about not ever touching the core language.  These kinds of rumours can hurt
a lot more than it seems.  For example people with very good concepts may
not come forward and introduce and push them, because they think it will
just be rejected without consideration.  Which is not the case.

> Nor am I convinced that there's much point in expecting
> everyday programming to be using frankly unreadable templated
> functors with binding etc. If it's so good, lets have language
> support.

The fact is that some everyday programmers did learn how to use those
things, some did not. ;-)  They are unquestionably ugly.  And while Boost
Lambda is a heroic effort to make the situation better, it can only do as
much.  Meaning that it is a huge (and wonderful) hack which is _nearly_
perfect.  It is just brilliant, but it cannot go all the way without core
language support.  The Evolution Working Group is dedicated to make the
language simpler to use and more intuitive.  So if anyone has well-defined
ideas of how could that be done should not hesitate to write a formal paper.
However for those having no experiences in the WG21 standardization work it
is advised to get help with their papers from those who are.  I am pretty
sure that ACCU as well as the UK C++ panel is happy to help creating
papers/presentations for good ideas.  The definition of good idea is that it
generally helps a lot of people, it will not break backward compatibility
and preferably it is simple.  Simple to learn, to implement, to use.  Also
be prepared to give away an eyeball for every new keyword you try to
introduce. ;-)

I am pretty sure that ACCU as well as the UK C++ panel is a great place to
get help with your ideas.  The moderated newsgroup is probably a good place
to get early feedback on how much your idea is supported by experts.

> (takes cover behind what turns out to be a time machine...)

Remember "The Day of The Tentacle" game from Lucasarts? :-)

Attila