[Exceptional C++ Style] Item 18 - Virtuality

Paul Grenyer paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 06:12:19 EST 2005

Hi Aung

Thanks for another excellent summary. I'll post it on the site later today.

I reread this item last night and I have two thoughts:

1. I am very pleased to finally have a solution to the "virtual destructor"
argument that I fully agree with and can now point other people at when
having the argument. This has been long overdue.

2. I agree with all the ideas and arguments for the NVI pattern. However, I
am in two minds about the extra code overhead. I suppose in many ways the
overhead is similar to things like the pimpl idiom, which I often use, but
do find time consuming to expand and retract. I think I'd find the same with
NVI.

Thoughts?

Regards
Paul

Paul Grenyer
email: paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk
articles: http://www.paulgrenyer.dyndns.org/articles/

Darrell “Dimebag” Abbott will be sorely missed…