[Exceptional C++ Style] Item 18 - Virtuality

Herb Sutter hsutter at microsoft.com
Sat Jan 8 18:32:47 EST 2005

> Regardless of one's opinion of NVI, it is clear, from reading any of
> Herb's material on the topic, that the goal is different. There is no
> skeletal algorithm and there is one step that is delegated.

Just a nit: Actually, the example I gave specifically points out that
this allows the form of the function (including the number of distinct
operations) to vary independently to best suit the audience (the outside
world, or derived classes' customization hooks), and has multiple
DoProcessPhaseN steps.

> the patterns are still distinct.

Right.

> One of my questions concerning NVI is precisely the question of
> appropriateness. I have been looking for an appropriate context for
many
> years, and have to find a solidly convincing one. As a problem-solving
> design it seems somewhat speculative.

See my other email (which bounced and I just tried sending it again) on
frameworks and versioning.

Herb