[Exceptional C++ Style] Item 20: Containers in Memory, Part 1: Levels of Memory Management.

Paul Grenyer paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 13:36:55 EST 2005

Hi

>> Does anyone else think that Herb doesn't really answer the JG question:
>> "What are memory managers (also known as memory allocators) and what is
>> their basic function?
>
> There is an implicit answer, the memory manager is the thingy that serves
> the pasky containers with the memory they request; and the one that uses
> one of those shiny strategies. ;-)

The passage is:

"To understand the total cost of using various containers, it's important to
understand the basics of how the underlying dynamic memory allocation
works - after all, the container has to get its memory from some memory
manager somewhere, and that manager in turn has to figure out how to parcel
out available memory by applying some more management strategy."

Yeah, ok, I suppose the line "after all, the container has to get its memory
from some memory manager somewhere" implies that memory managers get memory
for containers......

Regards
Paul

Paul Grenyer
email: paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk
Elephant: http://www.paulgrenyer.dyndns.org/elephant/

Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott will be sorely missed.