[Effective-cpp] Effective C++

Paul Grenyer pjgrenyer at iee.org
Sat Jun 7 12:39:43 EDT 2003

Gentlemen!

(The fact that i can get away with the above salutation is
depressing....)

On Monday Greg Haley will post the final More Effective C++ item (35)
summary (won't you, Greg ;-)). I'll then have lots of summaries to post
on the website and no doubt lots of chasing for discussion write-ups to
do (You've been warned!!!) and then the project will be complete and
will be the first ever Mentored Developers project to run to completion.

I'll write a piece for CVu on it (contributions welcome) and those who
are interested will have the opportunity to 'modify' some of the items
to make them more suitable (read consistent) for publication in CVu.

I think the question of "where next" has been pretty much decided,
especially thanks to Kevlins comments about the Expert Course. We're
headed in the direction of Effective STL and Templates.

I see that a lot of people from here and the Expert Course list have
joined the templates list. If you haven't and would like to, you can do
here: http://www.accu.org/mailman/listinfo/templates-project.

Participation in the templates project is NOT obligatory for
participations in the Effective STL project or vice-versa. However,
participation in both is encouraged as they will effectively (pun
intended) be replacing the Expert Course project.

<important bit>

Is everybody who did a More Effective C++ item happy to do an Effective
STL item? Please speak up if you are not, otherwise I will simply
allocate the ESTL items in the same order as the MEC++ items. Also, if
there is a particular ESTL item you would like to do, please let me know
or if you didn't do a MEC++ item last time and would like to do an ESTL
item, please also let me know.

Do people want to start as of Monday 16 June 2003 or shall we have a
couple of weeks break and go for Monday June 30th?

Shall we move at the same pace (2 items a week) or a bit quicker? There
are two things to consider:

1. ESTL has 50 items, but is a very much smaller book than MEC++, which
had 35 items, so it may be easier to do more items a week.

2. Hopefully a high number of people will be following the templates and
ESTL projects, so a similar pace may be appropriate.

Comments please!!!

</important bit>

If there is anything in the format you would like changed, please shout
now. The More Effective C++ project format worked well, so unless anyone
has any suggestions for improvement I am intending to use exactly the
same format again.

Hope to hear from you all soon.
--

Regards