[Exceptional C++ Style] Item 16 - (Mostly) Private

David Sykes d.sykes at pindar.com
Mon Dec 20 05:31:59 EST 2004

> > This is
> > the third book I have completed and carefully considered
> this way, and
> they
> > sit next to books I have bought over the years and barely
> read, and some I
> > haven't even opened.
>
> What are the other books you have then?

Very well, here is my current catalogue of shame... :)

Effective C++, More Effective C++ - Scott Meyers
Read, digested, regularly referred to. Two superb books.

Exceptional C++ Style - Herb Sutter
I wouldn't have read this without this list, but I'm very glad I did, and I
will be looking at Herbs other books after this one

The C++ Standard Library - Josuttis
An excellent tutorial and reference, I have even read the majority of it.

UML Distilled - Martin Fowler, Kendal Scott
An excellent book by all accounts. I hope to read it soon..

Object Oriented Analysis and Design - Booch
An impressive looking book I have had for many years, and have yet to start.

Test Driven Development, A Practical Guide - David Astels
Extremely persuasive first chapter. I am working on reading the rest at the
moment.

Anti-patterns: Refactoring Software, Architecture and Projects in Crisis  -
William Brown, Raphael Malveau, Hays McCormick III, Thomas Mowbray.
Another book on the to be started list.

Practice of Programming, Brian W. Kernighan, Rob Pike
There is a bookmark near the beginning suggesting I read some of it, but I
can't remember. Looks a good book though

Rapid Development - Steve McConnel
A superb book for people interested in the whole development process, I got
nearly half way before getting sidetracked

Design Patterns - Gang of four
I won this for answering a questionaire. I *will* start reading it soon!!

COM & ATL 3.0 - Troelsen
I have worked through the first third of this and found it excellent, I hope
to finish it next year.

Visual C++ .net step by step.
Good reviews on Amazon, I may read it one day.

Java Black Book
Very thick, very comprehensive, allegedly. I have done a little java but
barely touched the book.

MYSQL - Du Bois & PHP &MYSQL Welling and Thomson
Two excellent books for people developing in php and mysql, which
unfortunately I only did for a short while.

SED & AWK - Dale Dougherty and Arnold Robbins.
I use sed a lot, and this book explains it very well, and is a great
reference. I never got round to looking at awk, and suspect perl would be a
better choice.

Managing projects with Make - Oram and Talbot
A great looking book, untouched.

David Sykes
[ *** LongSig auto truncated *** ]

multipart/alternative