[Exceptional C++ Style] Item 16 - (Mostly) Private

Paul Grenyer paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
Thu Dec 23 10:57:27 EST 2004

Hi

> Very well, here is my current catalogue of shame... :)
>
> Effective C++, More Effective C++ - Scott Meyers
> Read, digested, regularly referred to. Two superb books.

The next mentored developers project I have planned is unlikely to interest
you as a project member, but it may set you up well as mentor thought.

> The C++ Standard Library - Josuttis
> An excellent tutorial and reference, I have even read the majority of it.

That's good. Everyone should IMHO. Look-out for an article from my and Greg
Haley in the new year (which reminds me, I am gonna pull my finger out,
Greg!).

> UML Distilled - Martin Fowler, Kendal Scott
> An excellent book by all accounts. I hope to read it soon..

Yes. Very easy going. I haven't had the opportunity to put it into practice
yet.

> Test Driven Development, A Practical Guide - David Astels
> Extremely persuasive first chapter. I am working on reading the rest at
> the
> moment.

I might try this. As is well documented in various places, I didn't like the
style of TDD by Kent Beck and think he could put people off....

> Anti-patterns: Refactoring Software, Architecture and Projects in
> risis  -
> William Brown, Raphael Malveau, Hays McCormick III, Thomas Mowbray.
> Another book on the to be started list.

I can't get excited about this book. I think the main problem may be that
part of the colour is orange. ;-)

Seriously thought there has been a lot of controversy on accu-general about
how good this book is or isn't or whether anti-patterns actually exist.

> Practice of Programming, Brian W. Kernighan, Rob Pike
> There is a bookmark near the beginning suggesting I read some of it, but I
> can't remember. Looks a good book though

Superb book! Also try "The Practice of Programming" by Brian W. Kernighan
and Rob Pike.

> Rapid Development - Steve McConnel
> A superb book for people interested in the whole development process, I
> got
> nearly half way before getting sidetracked

I don't have this one.

> Design Patterns - Gang of four
> I won this for answering a questionaire. I *will* start reading it soon!!

I've read most of. I find it hard going though and that it's better as a
reference book. If you want to learn specifically about patterns try Design
Patterns Explained by Alan Shalloway, James J. Trott  (read it this time
last year at my in-laws. Passes the time wonderfully!).

> COM & ATL 3.0 - Troelsen
> I have worked through the first third of this and found it excellent, I
> hope
> to finish it next year.

Yes, I found this very good. Easier to read than ATL Internals, for example.
But do you really want to learn about ATL3? For that matter is it worth
learning about ATL7 in this new .Net empowered world????

> Visual C++ .net step by step.
> Good reviews on Amazon, I may read it one day.

Got it. Haven't really felt inspired to read it.

> Java Black Book
> Very thick, very comprehensive, allegedly. I have done a little java but
> barely touched the book.

Bin it! It's about Java. ;-)

> Managing projects with Make - Oram and Talbot
> A great looking book, untouched.

I jsut bought the updated version of this. I too am waiting to read it.

Thanks for the insight!

Regards
Paul

Paul Grenyer
email: paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk
Elephant: http://www.paulgrenyer.dyndns.org/elephant/

Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott will be sorely missed.