[Effective-cpp] Schedule

Gregory Haley ghaley at venaca.com
Mon Oct 18 15:46:09 EDT 2004

> Hi All

hi paul,

> I've posted up a schedule for the current project members:
>
> http://www.paulgrenyer.dyndns.org/cppstyle/

Found the site and picked up my copy of the book today.

> It starts on Monday 25 October. Timothy C. Wright and Walter
> Vannini please can you make sure you get your items ready
> soon so that you can post them that week. I will try and
> remember to give everyone a weeks notice of their item.

i see i'm up third.

> The Date is actually a MySQL date field. Does anyone know how
> I can format it into something English and with the name of
> the day using either PHP or MySQL?

To get an English style date from a MySQL date field, do this type of
select:

select date_format(column_name, '%e %M %Y') from table;

So, on your page for last updated, this select would print 17 October 2004.

lower case m returns date in month number (01 = January) upper case returns
the month's Name,  lower case y returns year as 2 digits, upper case returns
4 digit year.

> Can a few people test the site and let me know that it works, please?

One thing I noticed about the site -- it opens fine from my XP machine, but
going to it from an older machine, it failed to open.  the issue that was
raised is that the browser could not find the style sheet file.  i looked at
the source from the xp side, and noticed all the directory delimiters are in
the windows style -- i.e., backward slashes.  so, maybe there is something
about i.e. for xp that lets it resolve those paths, but maybe not on older
machines?

> Thanks!
>
> Regards
> Paul